Cat Heaven Rescue Cat Cafe Somerset West
Cat Heaven Mission Statement
Cat Heaven’s Rescue Cat Cafe Somerset West, is a non- profit organisation that rescues cats from overcrowded shelters and provides a safe, fun and hygienic environment where they can enjoy the company of loving human beings.
We aim to reduce the number of people buying cats and to assist those who do not have the time or means to take care of them.
Our vision is to get as many cats as we can out of shelters and into furever homes.
“There are two means of refuge from the misery of life – music and cats” -Albert Schweitzer
We are humbled to be part of the extraordinary rescue network.
Rules of Cat Heaven’s Rescue Cat Cafe Somerset West
1. Please sanitise your hands on entering the cat cafe.
2. Do not pull a cat by its tail, whiskers or any part of its body.
3. Do not attempt to hold or carry a cat. They may sit on your lap if they like you though.
4. Cats do not like loud or sudden music. Talk softly at all times and do not chase the cats.
5. Photographs are welcomed, but no flash photography. Cat’s eyes are very sensitive.
6. Do not wake a sleeping cat or disturb a cat while it is eating.
7. Only food purchased at the cafe may be consumed on the premises.
8. High heeled shoes are prohibited, and shoes must be removed when entering the indoor cafe.
9. No Children under the age of 6.
* If you do not follow any one of these rules, you will be asked to leave and you will not be refunded.
* Children may be cautioned by cafe staff. Please understand.
Frequently Asked Questions about Cat Cafe
1. Are the cats at the cafe available for adoption?
At Cat Heaven’s Rescue Cafe, we are offering in-house adoptions. These cats will remain at our Cat Café premises, however, if you love cats, but are unable to have your own pet at home for any reason, then why not become a parent and adopt a cat at Cat Heaven. The Adoption Policy Fee is R120 per month which will assist in covering the costs of the cat’s food and medical care. Read more about adoptions
2. Can I bring my own food and drink into the cafe?
No. Only edibles purchased at the cafe can be consumed on the premises. Birthday cakes are permissible by prior arrangement.
3. Do you serve cooked food at the cafe?
No, we do not prepare any food on site. We serve biscuits, catfee (coffee) water, tea and soft drinks.
4. Can I feed the cats?
Yes, but only treats purchased from the cat shop that is on the premises.
5. Can I bring my own cat from home to the cafe?
Sorry no! This will upset our resident cats.
6. Can we volunteer at the cafe?
Yes, you can. Please email us your details, including how many hours and what times you are available.
7. How much does it cost to visit the cafe?
The entrance fee is R20.00 per hour to visit the indoor and outdoor cafe.
(Proceeds go towards food and medical care for the cats).
8. What are the visiting hours?
We are open 6 days a week Monday to Friday: 10 am to 16.00
Saturday: 10 am till 13.00 pm
9. Are gift vouchers available?
10. Do I have to book?
Bookings are recommended to secure your place.
All bookings are non-refundable.
Group bookings (more than 5) require a 50% deposit.
11. Are there any age restrictions to entering?
Yes, no children under the age of 6 are allowed. Children under the age of 14 may enter but under the strict supervision of an adult.
12. What is the capacity of visitors at the cafe?
As the well being of our cats are our priority, the maximum number of people allowed at any given time is:
6 in the indoor cafe and 15 in the outdoor cafe.
13. Where do you get your cats from?
Our first 12 cats are from the Stellenbosch Animal Shelter. We work with local rescue centres to see if we can give suitable cats a furever home. We firmly believe that it is not fair to take rescue cats that have been abused or mistreated by humans and force them to interact with people. We have another 4 cats that were rescued from Khayelitsha Animal Shelter.
General information about Cat Heaven’s Cat Cafe Somerset West
- Cat Café was built and designed with the happiness and pleasure of our cats as a priority.
- To ensure our cats are well fed and have access to medical care, we charge an entrance fee along with the sale of coffee and cookies.
- A local vet conducts monthly medical checks on our cats and amongst others, they are vaccinated and treated for fleas and worms. All our cats are insured.
- Our cats are groomed daily and bathed when required.
- We have a display area with pictures of all our cats on a wall, along with their names to ensure that patrons can get to know our cats individually.
- We have firsthand knowledge of all our cats, their personalities, issues, habits, likes, and dislikes.
- We do not allow anything that may be considered hazardous to our cats. For example straws.
- In the event that our cats inflict damage upon our guests, we provide first aid, but we do not compensate for damage.
- We aim to keep a relaxing atmosphere at all times.
- All funds generated by the cafe goes to the feeding and maintenance of the health and welfare of our cats, and their environment. Any excess funds will be donated to animal charities.
- We offer free Wi-Fi, so one can work or study in the company of our loving felines.
- Life for many is hectic and people do not have the time to look after their own pets, so we aim to encourage people to come to the cafe, rather than purchase a cat of their own.
- In addition, urbanites living in blocks of flats and apartments are not allowed to keep pets. These individuals can come to the cafe a few hours a week and have their pet here.
- People who don’t want the stress of a lifelong commitment to an animal or for any other reason are unable to keep a pet, can come to the cafe and enjoy the relaxing company of our cats.
- Cat Heaven’s rescue cat cafe is home to 16 free roaming Konekes (kitten in Japanese), and if you fall in love you can adopt, see our in-house adoption policy.
- We keep a list of all cats that have been rehomed and stay in contact with the adopted parents.
- Our drinks are prepared in a separate area and our biscuits are made outside the premises and individually wrapped.
- We have a zero-tolerance policy for anyone causing distress to our furry children.